Tuesday, October 03, 2006

if dylan didn't go to grad school, how did he know?



how did he know how it often feels?

Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping. My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet, I have no one to meet And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.


I have also recently, and only partly in jest, been compared to Dean Moriarty.
Now this in itself would have been a matter of (some) pride not so many years ago. After all, there are chunks of On The Road I can recite, verbatim and breathless- The only people for me are the mad ones the ones who are mad to live mad to talk mad to be saved... and so on.

But now, well, let's just say that towards the end of the book, Dean Moriarty is going the holy goof way, he's tired and he's BEAT... and these days I know just how that feels.

Hence today a long ramble through the Upper East Side, Central Park (watch the video), and along the Hudson through Riverside Park.
Including an incident where sheer Delhi cussedness (minus anger) made Noo Yawk aggro back down with a 'You know what, I'm getting out of this situation.'
'You should'.
And they say this town is tough. But more on that later.

On a happier(?) note, here's why Douglas Adams is really important for linguistics -
Linguistic time is self-refrential, says Emile Beneveniste. Dan Streetmentioner agrees.




Listed on BlogShares